Effects of ZybanSeveral studies have shown that Zyban can help people stop smoking. In one study, up to 36 percent of people taking the drug were able to stop smoking for at least a month, compared to only 17 percent of those not taking it. In another study, combining Zyban with nicotine patches was even more effective -- up to 58 percent of people were able to quit smoking for at least one month, compared to 23 percent of those not taking either medication.
Studies have also shown that Zyban helps to reduce nicotine withdrawal symptoms, such as:
In addition, studies have shown that people who continue to take the drug after stopping smoking are less likely to start smoking again.
- Because it takes about a week to build up the necessary level of Zyban in your blood, you will need to start taking it at least one week before you try to stop smoking.
- The medication comes in tablet form. The drug is taken by mouth, usually twice a day.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. They should not be cut, crushed, broken, or chewed.
- You can take Zyban with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Zyban should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For Zyban to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.