Most people start with a Zyban dose of 150 mg once a day. This can be increased to 150 mg twice a day by the fourth day of treatment. Some of the factors that affect your specific dose include your age and whether you are taking other drugs. When taking this medicine twice a day, separate each dose by at least eight hours.
An Introduction to Dosing With ZybanThe dose of Zyban® (bupropion SR) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Zyban Dosage for Smoking Cessation
The recommended starting dose when quitting smoking is Zyban 150 mg, taken once daily in the morning. As soon as the fourth day of treatment, your healthcare provider may increase this to Zyban 150 mg, taken twice daily.
You should start taking Zyban while you are still smoking, because it takes about a week to build up the required level of the medication in your blood. You and your healthcare provider should choose a "quit date" -- usually some time in the second week you are taking Zyban.
You should take Zyban for at least 7 to 12 weeks. If you have not made any progress toward quitting by the seventh week, your healthcare provider may decide to take you off this medication. However, if you have successfully stopped smoking, your healthcare provider may decide to keep you on it for several months, as Zyban can help you from starting smoking again.
General Information on Taking ZybanConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with Zyban include the following:
- When taking Zyban twice daily, make sure that you take the doses at least eight hours apart.
- You can take this medication with or without food. If Zyban bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. They should not be cut, broken, chewed, or crushed.
- Zyban should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Talk with your healthcare provider prior to treatment if you have liver or kidney problems, as you may need a lower Zyban dosage.
- For Zyban to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has recommended.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Zyban, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.