For adults and children 12 years and older who are taking zileuton, dosing generally starts at 600 mg four times daily. To help remember when to take the daily dosage, many people choose to take their doses with each meal and at bedtime. Zileuton dosing guidelines must be followed as prescribed in order for the medication to work properly.
The dose of zileuton (Zyflo®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your zileuton dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended zileuton dose for adults and adolescents age 12 and older is zileuton 600 mg four times a day. A good way to remember when to take your daily dosage is to take the drug with each meal and at bedtime.
Considerations for people taking zileuton include the following:
- Zileuton comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth four times a day.
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If zileuton bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Zileuton should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The drug will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to zileuton or zileuton dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.