Side Effects of Zileuton
Headache, indigestion, and muscle pain are some of the most common side effects of zileuton. Although side effects are typically minor and easily treated, some problems may be serious and require immediate medical attention. Contact your healthcare provider right away if you develop serious zileuton side effects, such as worsening of asthma, signs of liver damage, or an allergic reaction.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with zileuton (Zyflo®); however, not everyone who takes the medicine will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with zileuton. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of zileuton side effects with you.)
Zileuton has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented. In these studies, the most common zileuton side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 24.6 percent of people
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 8.2 percent
- Pain -- up to 7.8 percent
- Nausea -- up to 5.5 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 4.6 percent
- Weakness -- up to 3.8 percent
- Accidental injury -- up to 3.4 percent
- Muscle pain -- up to 3.2 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 1 to 3 percent of people, included:
- Joint pain
- Chest pain
- Conjunctivitis ("pink eye")
- Muscle tension
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Neck pain
- Urinary tract infection (bladder infection or UTI)