Tobramycin Inhalation Powder Dosage
Tobramycin inhalation powder is used twice daily for 28 days, followed by a 28-day break before starting another 28-day cycle of the medication. The dosage of tobramycin inhalation powder is the same for everyone -- four 28-mg capsules twice daily. The capsules are placed in a device that punctures them so you can inhale the powder within.
There is only one standard recommended dose of tobramycin inhalation powder (Tobi® Podhaler™), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual recommended dose of tobramycin inhalation powder is four 28-mg capsules (112 mg total) twice a day for 28 days, followed by a 28-day break when the medicine is not taken. This cycle of 28 days on the drug followed by 28 days off should be repeated until your healthcare provider tells you otherwise.
This medication must be taken with the Podhaler device. It punctures the capsules and allows you to inhale the powder inside them. Only one capsule can be placed in the device at a time, so you will need to follow the procedures for taking the medicine four times for each dosage.
Your healthcare provider will show you how to use the Podhaler device. You will also receive written instructions. Make sure to ask questions if anything is unclear.
Each Podhaler device is used for one week only. Use a new device each time you start a new weekly pack of capsules.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with tobramycin inhalation powder include the following:
- Tobramycin inhalation powder comes in the form of a capsule. The contents are inhaled by mouth twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- Do not swallow the capsules whole; they will not work if swallowed. Instead, you must use the Podhaler device to take this medication. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you are unsure how to use it.
- You will need to inhale at least twice with each capsule to get the full dose. The capsules should be empty when you have finished. If powder remains in the capsules, inhale again until they are empty.
- Try to take your dosages at about the same time each day, as close to 12 hours apart as possible, but no less than 6 hours apart.
- If you are using other inhaled medicines, you should take your dose of tobramycin inhalation powder last, unless your healthcare provider tells you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your tobramycin inhalation powder dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.