Tiotropium dosing is the same for everyone -- it is not affected by age, weight, or other factors. The drug comes in capsule form and is inhaled using a special device. To ensure a successful treatment process, it's important that your healthcare provider shows you exactly how to use the inhaler and that you follow his or her tiotropium dosing guidelines as prescribed.
An Introduction to Tiotropium DosingThere is only one standard dose of tiotropium bromide (Spiriva®), regardless of your age, weight, or other medical conditions. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Tiotropium Dosing for COPDThe recommended dose of tiotropium when treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including emphysema and chronic bronchitis, is one tiotropium capsule (18 mcg) inhaled once daily.
General Information on Dosing With TiotropiumConsiderations for people taking tiotropium include the following:
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs once a day. It does not matter what time of day you take tiotropium, as long as you take it at the same time each day.
- Tiotropium comes in capsule form, although these capsules are never to be swallowed. They are used in the inhaler. The inhaler punctures the capsule, and then the powder is inhaled using your own breath.
- It is important that you learn exactly how to use the inhaler. Make sure your healthcare provider shows you the steps needed to use it properly.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Tiotropium will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to tiotropium or tiotropium dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.