Although an overdose on Sirturo (bedaquiline) is possible, there have not been any reported cases to know the full effects a person might experience. If you think you have taken too much, seek urgent medical care. An overdose on this drug may be treated with activated charcoal or other supportive treatment options to manage any symptoms that occur.
Sirturo™ (bedaquiline) is a prescription tuberculosis medication. It is used in combination with other medicines to treat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
As with any medication, it is possible to take an overdose of Sirturo. The specific effects would likely vary, however, depending on a number of factors, including the Sirturo dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reports of a Sirturo overdose. Therefore, it is not entirely known what type of symptoms to expect as a result. It is reasonable to assume that an overdose would cause the usually expected Sirturo side effects, although they might be more severe.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach" or administer activated charcoal to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing Sirturo from the bloodstream.
Treatment for any type of overdose also usually involves supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for people who take too much Sirturo may include:
- Close monitoring of the heart, including the heart rhythm
- Close monitoring of the liver
- Medications to treat nausea if it occurs.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone you know may have overdosed on this medication.