The recommended dosage of Sirturo used to treat tuberculosis is the same for everyone, regardless of age, weight, or other medications that are being used. Sirturo comes as a tablet. It is taken once a day for 2 weeks, followed by three times a week for 22 more weeks. Make sure to take it with food and water.
There is only one standard recommended dose of Sirturo™ (bedaquiline), regardless of your age, weight, or other medicines you are taking. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Sirturo is taken for a total of 24 weeks. The usual recommended dosage for treating tuberculosis of the lungs over the 24-week treatment course is:
- 400 mg (four tablets) once a day during weeks 1 and 2 of treatment
- 200 mg (two tablets) three times a week during weeks 3 through 24. Doses during weeks 3 through 24 should be separated by at least 48 hours.
Sirturo must be used with at least three other tuberculosis medications. Your healthcare provider will determine which other medicines you should take. You may need to take these other products for longer than 24 weeks.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with this medication include the following:
- Sirturo comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once a day for 2 weeks and then three times a week for 22 more weeks.
- This medication should be taken with food and water.
- Do not cut, crush, or chew the tablets. They must be swallowed whole.
- Sirturo is taken in combination with other tuberculosis medicines. Make sure you understand the instructions for taking these other drugs as well.
- You should not drink alcohol during Sirturo treatment.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work to treat your infection if you do not take it, or take less than the full course. Also, missing doses or not taking the entire course of treatment may increase the risk that the bacteria will become resistant to Sirturo or other tuberculosis medications.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Sirturo dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.