Revatio Side Effects
Serious Side EffectsSome Revatio side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Sudden decrease or loss in hearing
- Sudden decrease, blurriness, or loss of vision
- Prolonged or painful erection lasting more than four hours
- An increase in shortness of breath
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Chest pain
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.
The main active ingredient found in Revatio, sildenafil citrate, has been associated with rare cases of serious heart, brain, or blood vessel problems. These problems include:
- Heart attack
- Sudden death
- Serious irregular heart rhythms (known as arrhythmias)
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA), or mini-stroke
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Bleeding within the brain or in the spaces just outside of the brain
- Bleeding in the lungs.
These problems occurred when the medication was used to treat erectile dysfunction and was given in different dosage amounts than those used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension. Most of the problems happened during or shortly after sexual activity.
In most of the cases, people had heart or blood vessel problems before taking sildenafil citrate. Therefore, it is difficult to tell whether the problems were related to the medication, the person's existing heart and blood problems, sexual activity, or a combination of these factors.
However, it is important to seek immediate medical attention if you experience side effects like chest pain, dizziness, fainting, or increased shortness of breath while taking Revatio.