If you have pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), the Revatio dosage is a standard amount, regardless of your age or weight. This medication comes in the form of a tablet or as an intravenous injection, and is taken three times daily. Taking a higher dose than recommended does not appear to increase the effectiveness of Revatio, but it does increase the risk of side effects.
An Introduction to Dosing With RevatioThere is only one standard dose for Revatio® (sildenafil citrate), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
What Is the Revatio Dosage for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension?The standard dosage of Revatio tablets for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension is 20 mg three times a day. Doses are taken about four to six hours apart.
Studies have shown that dosages higher than 20 mg three times a day do not increase the effectiveness of Revatio, but do increase the risk of side effects. Revatio has not been studied at dosages lower than 20 mg three times a day, so it is unknown if lower doses are as effective as the standard dose.
The standard dosage of Revatio injection for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension is 10 mg (12.5 mL) three times a day, given as an intravenous bolus injection. The 10-mg injection dose is believed to provide the same effect as the 20-mg oral dose.
General Information on Taking RevatioSome considerations for people taking Revatio include the following:
- Revatio is available as a tablet and as an intravenous injection. The injectable form is for people who are unable to take medications by mouth.
- Revatio tablets are taken by mouth three times a day, with approximately four to six hours between doses. Revatio intravenous injections are administered three times a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Revatio dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.