Side Effects of Omalizumab
Although most people tolerate omalizumab well, there are some potential side effects of the medication. Among the common side effects of omalizumab are reactions at the injection site, joint pain, and fatigue. In most cases, the side effects are minor and can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, you should notify your healthcare provider immediately if you develop more serious omalizumab side effects, such as signs of an allergic reaction or asthma symptoms that are getting worse.
An Introduction to Side Effects of OmalizumabAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with omalizumab (Xolair®). However, not everyone who takes omalizumab will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with omalizumab. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of omalizumab side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of OmalizumabOmalizumab has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, some of the most common side effects of omalizumab included:
- Injection site reactions (such as pain or redness at the injection site) -- in up to 45 percent of people
- Headache -- up to 12 percent
- Symptoms of the common cold (such as runny or stuffy nose and sore throat) -- up to 9.1 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 8 percent
- Body pain -- up to 7 percent
- Sinus infection -- up to 4.9 percent
- Leg pain -- up to 4 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infection -- up to 3.4 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 3 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 3 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2.7 percent
- Cough -- up to 2.2 percent.
A few other common side effects, occurring in 1 percent to 2 percent of people, included:
- Broken bones
- Arm pain