Nicotrol Inhaler Side Effects
In clinical studies, up to 40 percent of people using the Nicotrol Inhaler developed mouth or throat irritation. Other common side effects of the Nicotrol Inhaler include headache, nasal congestion, and a cough. Although most reactions to this product are minor, serious side effects can also occur, such as heart palpitations, increased blood pressure, and difficulty breathing.
An Introduction to Nicotrol Inhaler Side EffectsJust like any medicine, the Nicotrol® Inhaler (nicotine inhaler) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with the Nicotrol Inhaler. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of the Nicotrol InhalerThe Nicotrol Inhaler has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received the real medication, while another group was given a placebo (an inhaler with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common Nicotrol Inhaler side effects included:
- Mouth and throat irritation -- in up to 40 percent of people
- Coughing -- up to 32 percent
- Headache -- up to 26 percent
- Nasal congestion -- up to 23 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 18 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in at least 3 percent of people, included:
- Unpleasant taste
- Jaw and neck pain
- Tooth problems
- Sinus inflammation
- Chest discomfort
- Breathing problems, such as shortness of breath
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension)
- Flu-like symptoms, including aches, pain, and fever
- Feelings of tingling, pricking, or numbness of the skin
- Nicotine withdrawal symptoms, such as: