Nicotrol Inhaler Dosage
After 12 weeks of treatment, the Nicotrol Inhaler dosage is usually gradually reduced over 6 to 12 weeks in order to wean the body off nicotine. Some people may be able to abruptly stop using the medication. Most people, however, will need to slowly reduce their dose. Your healthcare provider can help you find a strategy that works best for you when it is time to stop using this medication.
Do not use the Nicotrol Inhaler for longer than six months unless your healthcare provider tells you otherwise. It is unclear if this medication is safe to use for more than six months. In addition, the Nicotrol Inhaler contains nicotine, an addictive drug, so there is a possibility of becoming dependent on it.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with the Nicotrol Inhaler include the following:
- The Nicotrol Inhaler comes with a reusable inhaler mouthpiece (a thin plastic tube) and cartridges that contain nicotine (the active medication). Nicotine is inhaled from the cartridges through the mouthpiece. The normal dosage is 6 to 16 cartridges daily for 12 weeks, followed by a gradual dose reduction for 6 to 12 more weeks.
- You can improve your chances of successfully quitting by using this as part of a complete smoking cessation program that includes support groups, counseling, or behavioral strategies.
- Do not smoke, chew tobacco, use snuff, or use any other nicotine products while you use this medication. Doing so may increase your risk for side effects from getting too much nicotine.
- The Nicotrol Inhaler comes with instructions that explain how to properly use the inhaler and cartridges. Read these instructions carefully before using this medication. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have any questions about Nicotrol Inhaler use.
- To use the Nicotrol Inhaler, inhale deeply or puff in short breaths through the mouthpiece. It normally takes 20 minutes of active inhaling or puffing to use one cartridge. After a few days, you should be able to tell when the cartridge is empty.
- Use this medication at room temperature. Cold temperatures will reduce the amount of nicotine you inhale.
- Keep the mouthpiece clean by washing it regularly with soap and water.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing for the Nicotrol Inhaler, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.