Drug InteractionsAlthough nicotine gum is not likely to react with most medicines, just the act of stopping smoking may affect a number of other medications (see Drug Interactions With Nicotine Gum).
What If I Overdose on This Medication?An overdose with this medication may cause a variety of symptoms, including potentially dangerous problems. Seek immediate medical attention if you may have overdosed on this product.
(Click Nicorette Gum Overdose for more information.)
What Should I Do If I Forget a Dose?If you forget to use a piece of nicotine gum, just use it as soon as you remember and then return to your normal dosing schedule. Do not use two pieces of gum at one time.
How Does It Work?Nicotine gum is a nicotine replacement medication. When you chew the gum, nicotine is released into your mouth and absorbed into your body, where it replaces the nicotine your body is accustomed to getting from cigarettes. This helps to reduce nicotine withdrawal symptoms, including cravings. As you slowly decrease your dose of nicotine gum, your body adjusts to having less and less nicotine until you no longer need the medication.
When and How to Use This MedicationSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with nicotine gum include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a gum. The normal dose is one piece of gum, every one to eight hours, for 12 weeks (or sometimes longer).
- Nicotine is only released from the gum when it is chewed; only a small amount of nicotine will be released if the gum is swallowed without chewing.
- Do not chew more than 24 pieces of gum in one day.
- To use this product, slowly chew one piece of gum until it tingles, and then place it between your cheek and gum. When the tingling stops, chew the gum again until the tingling returns. Repeat this process until the gum no longer tingles, which usually takes about 30 minutes.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for 15 minutes before using the gum, or while the gum is in your mouth. Any food or drink before or during use may decrease the amount of nicotine absorbed into your body.
- If you still have strong cravings after chewing a piece of gum, you may use one additional piece within the hour. However, do not continuously chew one piece after another, as this will increase your risk for side effects.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.