The standard dosage of mometasone/formoterol prescribed to control asthma and prevent asthma symptoms is two puffs twice a day. However, your healthcare provider will also consider the severity of your asthma and other medications you are taking before recommending a dosage for your situation. To help prevent thrush of the mouth and throat, rinse your mouth with water after each dose.
The dose of mometasone/formoterol (Dulera®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your asthma
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard dose used to control asthma and prevent asthma symptoms is two puffs of mometasone/formoterol twice a day -- once in the morning and once in the evening.
Some considerations for people taking mometasone/formoterol include the following:
- Mometasone/formoterol is inhaled into the lungs, usually twice a day.
- The mometasone/formoterol canister should only be used with the mometasone/formoterol inhaler device.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require some practice. Read the medication guide that comes with your inhaler, and be sure to talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have any questions or need help.
- Each mometasone/formoterol canister must be primed before the very first use by spraying it four times into the air, away from the face. Shake the canister well before each spray.
- Mometasone/formoterol is used to control asthma or prevent asthma symptoms. It is not used to treat asthma attacks once they start. You should use a rescue inhaler to relieve sudden asthma symptoms that occur in between your mometasone/formoterol doses.
- Make sure you know the difference between mometasone/formoterol and your other asthma inhalers, including the difference in how they look and how they are used.
- Rinse your mouth with water and spit after each dose in order to prevent a yeast infection in your mouth and throat (thrush).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your mometasone/formoterol dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.