Lungs Home > Zyban Side Effects
In previous clinical studies, some of the most commonly reported side effects of Zyban included insomnia, constipation, dizziness, and dry mouth. While most people tolerate the drug without problems, there are some potentially serious side effects that can occur, such as seizures, panic attacks, and a rapid heart rate. If you experience any of these side effects, contact your healthcare provider right away.
An Introduction to Zyban Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Zyban® (bupropion SR). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Zyban. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Zyban side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of ZybanZyban has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, side effects reported by a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects reported by another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Zyban include:
- Insomnia -- in up to 40 percent of people (see Zyban and Insomnia)
- An irritated or runny nose -- up to 12 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 11 percent (see Zyban and Dry Mouth)
- Dizziness -- up to 10 percent
- Nausea -- up to 9 percent
- Trouble concentrating -- up to 9 percent
- Constipation -- up to 8 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 5 percent
- Unusual dreams -- up to 5 percent
- Muscle pain -- up to 4 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 4 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 4 percent.
Some other common Zyban side effects (occurring in 1 to 3 percent of people) include:
- A loss of appetite
- Changes in taste
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- A sore throat
- Neck pain
- Increased appetite
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Dry skin
- Canker sores
- Sinus infections or irritation
- Bloody nose
- Hot flashes
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Changes in thought patterns
- Ringing of the ears (tinnitus).