The amount of linezolid your healthcare provider recommends will be based on how old you are, what type of infection you have, and other factors. The usual adult dosage is 600 mg of linezolid every 12 hours, for anywhere from 10 to 28 days. A lower amount is often used for uncomplicated skin infections. Linezolid can be used by itself or combined with other antibiotics.
An Introduction to Dosing With LinezolidThe dose of linezolid (Zyvox®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type and severity of your infection
- Your age
- Your weight (for children).
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Linezolid Dosing GuidelinesThe usual linezolid dosage for treatment in adults is 600 mg every 12 hours. However, the dose for treating uncomplicated skin or soft tissue infections in adults is 400 mg every 12 hours. The duration of treatment ranges from 10 to 28 days, depending on the type and severity of the particular infection. Linezolid is sometimes combined with other antibiotics to treat certain infections.
The dose of linezolid in children from birth to 11 years of age is calculated based on the child's weight. Children 12 years old and older normally get the adult dose. However, the normal amount for the treatment of uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections in children 12 years of age and older is 600 mg every 12 hours.
Dosing guidelines for the intravenous (IV) form of linezolid are the same as the oral (tablet or liquid suspension) form.
General Information on Taking LinezolidSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with linezolid include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule, oral liquid suspension, and intravenous (IV) injectable forms.
- Linezolid is normally taken twice a day, with about 12 hours between doses.
- When using the oral liquid suspension, gently turn the bottle upside down three to five times to mix the medicine. Do not shake the bottle.
- Measure the oral liquid suspension with an oral syringe, accurately marked measuring spoon, or a medicine cup to make sure you get the correct amount. Regular household spoons are not accurate enough to measure medications. Your pharmacist can give you an appropriate measuring device if you need one.
- The oral liquid can be kept for up to 21 days. After 21 days, any unused medication should be thrown out.
- A dose of linezolid can be taken with or without food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not miss a dose or stop taking linezolid earlier than your healthcare provider recommends, even if you are feeling better. Doing so may lead to bacterial resistance. Also, although you will start to feel better before you are finished with the medication, your infection may not be completely gone.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your linezolid dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider.