People who take too much Letairis (ambrisentan) may experience headaches, nausea, and low blood pressure. Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you have overdosed on this medication. You may need to have your stomach pumped or receive activated charcoal to help reduce the amount of Letairis absorbed into the bloodstream.
Letairis® (ambrisentan) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension, a condition in which there is high blood pressure in the blood vessels of the lungs. It is used to improve a person's ability to exercise, and to slow down the worsening of symptoms.
As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Letairis. The specific effects of an overdose may vary, however, depending on a number of factors, including the Letairis dosage and whether it was taken with any other drugs or substances.
There is limited information available about the symptoms of a Letairis overdose. Single doses as high as 100 mg (10 times the maximum recommended human dose) have been given to people in clinical studies. Based on these studies, possible effects of a Letairis overdose may include:
- Warmth and redness of the face, neck, and chest (flushing)
- Nasal congestion
- Low blood pressure (hypotension).
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream. It is unknown whether dialysis is useful for removing Letairis from the body.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, medications may be given to increase blood pressure if it drops too low.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken an overdose of this medication.