Side Effects of Ipratropium and Albuterol Inhaler
Common Side Effects of Ipratropium and Albuterol InhalerThe old ipratropium and albuterol inhaler has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the inhaler was compared to each of its two components (ipratropium and albuterol). Because these studies did not compare the inhaler to a placebo (an inhaler with no active ingredient), it was difficult to determine if the side effects were due to the medications, the disease itself, or other problems.
In these studies, the most common side effects of ipratropium and albuterol inhaler included:
- Bronchitis -- in up to 12.3 percent of people
- Upper respiratory tract infections -- up to 10.9 percent
- Headaches -- up to 5.6 percent
- Difficulty breathing -- up to 4.5 percent
- Coughing -- up to 4.2 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 1 to 3 percent of people) included:
Studies have compared the old Combivent inhaler to the new Combivent Respimat and have shown that they are quite similar in terms of side effects.