In clinical studies, people taking Intal had improvements in breathing and asthma symptoms, compared to those not taking the medication. Intal is not an asthma cure.
Intal comes in two formulations: the Intal inhaler and Intal nebulizer solution (which is approved for use in young children).
How to Use the Intal Inhaler
Some general considerations for when and how to use the inhaler include the following:
- Some people use their inhaler on a regular basis, while others use it just before exercising (to prevent exercise-induced asthma attacks or other asthma attacks due to predictable causes).
- You should "test spray" each inhaler before your first use of it, or if you have not used it for a long period of time. To test spray the inhaler, spray it into the air by pressing on the top of the canister.
- Shake your inhaler gently before each use.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Intal inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Most people put the mouthpiece of the inhaler directly into their mouths. However, many healthcare professionals now recommend placing the inhaler an inch or two away from the mouth. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way for you to use the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 112 or 200 sprays (depending on the inhaler size). Try to keep track of approximately how many sprays you have used in order to know when to replace the inhaler. Do not place the inhaler in water to see if it is empty (although it was recommended to do so in the past).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
How to Use Intal Nebulizer Solution
Some general considerations for when and how to use Intal nebulizer solution include the following:
- Intal nebulizer solution is a liquid form of Intal that is used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use it.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- For the nebulizer solution to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.