Fortaz Side Effects
Most people tolerate Fortaz well, but side effects are always a possibility. Some reactions to watch for during treatment include headache, dizziness, nausea, and vaginal yeast infections. Serious side effects, though generally not as common, can also occur. If you develop seizures, bloody diarrhea, or signs of an allergic reaction, seek immediate medical attention.
An Introduction to Fortaz Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Fortaz® (ceftazidime) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Fortaz. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Possible Side Effects of FortazFortaz has been studied extensively in clinical trials. During these trials, information on side effects was carefully recorded. Based on these studies, the most common Fortaz side effects included:
- Allergic reactions, including itching, rash, and/or fever -- up to 2 percent of people
- Irritation or inflammation at the injection site -- between 1 and 2 percent
- Diarrhea -- between 1 and 2 percent.
Other, less common reactions included:
- An immediate allergic reaction (with rash and itching)
- Dangerous allergic reactions involving difficulty breathing and/or swelling of the mouth or throat
- Severe skin reactions, which can result in death or disfigurement
- Unusual sensations, such as burning, tingling, or pricking
- An overgrowth of nonsusceptible bacteria in the digestive tract
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Vaginal yeast infections