When and How to Take Dornase AlfaGeneral considerations for when and how to take dornase alfa include the following:
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs once or twice a day.
- Dornase alfa comes in single-use ampules that are used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use the drug.
- Do not dilute dornase alfa or mix it with other nebulizer medications.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- For dornase alfa to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing Information for Dornase AlfaThe dose of dornase alfa that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- How you respond to dornase alfa
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dornase alfa dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Dornase Alfa for more information.)
Dornase Alfa Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with dornase alfa. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of dornase alfa include, but are not limited to:
- Sore throat
- Chest pain
- Voice changes
- Runny or stuffy nose.
(Click Side Effects of Dornase Alfa to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)