Dornase Alfa Dosing
Dornase alfa dosing guidelines take various factors into account, such as how a person initially responds to the drug and if other medications are being taken. In most cases, a dose of 2.5 mg, taken once daily, is prescribed. However, some people may need to take the drug twice a day. To ensure an effective treatment process, follow your healthcare provider's dornase alfa dosing guidelines as instructed.
An Introduction to Dornase Alfa DosingThe dose of dornase alfa (Pulmozyme®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- How you respond to dornase alfa
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dornase alfa dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dornase Alfa Dosing for Cystic FibrosisThe recommended dose of dornase alfa when treating cystic fibrosis is typically dornase alfa 2.5 mg (one ampule) inhaled once daily using a nebulizer. However, some people (especially older people or those with very poor lung function) may benefit from taking dornase alfa twice daily.
General Information on Dosing With Dornase AlfaConsiderations for people taking dornase alfa include the following:
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs once or twice a day.
- Dornase alfa comes in single-use ampules that are used in a nebulizer. You will need to purchase or rent a nebulizer in order to use dornase alfa.
- Do not dilute dornase alfa or mix it with other nebulizer medications.
- Make sure you know exactly how to use and clean the nebulizer.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Dornase alfa will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dornase alfa dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.