When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with dextromethorphan polistirex include the following:
- Dextromethorphan polistirex comes in orange- or grape-flavored liquid. It is usually taken by mouth every 12 hours.
- You can take this medication with or without food.
- Make sure to shake the bottle well before each dose.
- Kitchen spoons are not accurate enough for measuring medications. Use the dosage cup provided to measure an accurate amount.
- For dextromethorphan polistirex to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Is There a Generic Version?Dextromethorphan polistirex is available in generic form (click Generic Delsym for more information).
Available StrengthsThis medication comes in one strength, with 30 mg of dextromethorphan per 5 mL, per teaspoonful. There are no differences between the children's dextromethorphan polistirex products and the regular products. They contain the exact same medication in the exact same amount. Adults may use the children's product, and children may use the regular product.