Dextromethorphan Polistirex Dosage
Your age will largely determine your dextromethorphan polistirex dosage. For adults, the typical dose is 10 mL taken every 12 hours. This cough suppressant can be used by children as young as four years old. Make sure to contact your healthcare provider if your cough lasts more than seven days or occurs with a fever, rash, or persistent headache.
An Introduction to Dosing With Dextromethorphan PolistirexThe recommended dose of dextromethorphan polistirex (Delsym®) varies, depending mostly upon age. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Dextromethorphan Polistirex Dosage for a CoughDextromethorphan polistirex may be taken every 12 hours (twice a day). As mentioned, the recommended dosage varies depending on age, as follows:
- Under age 4 -- do not use
- 4 to 6 years old -- 2.5 mL every 12 hours
- 6 to 12 years old -- 5 mL every 12 hours
- 12 years old and older -- 10 mL every 12 hours.
For the purposes of comparing dextromethorphan polistirex to other products, each 5 mL of this medication contains the equivalent of 30 mg of dextromethorphan hydrobromide.
You should stop using dextromethorphan polistirex and contact your healthcare provider if your cough lasts more than seven days; goes away and comes back; or occurs with a fever, rash, or persistent headache.
There are no differences between the children's dextromethorphan polistirex products and the regular products. They contain the exact same medication in the exact same amount. Adults may use the children's product, and children may use the regular product.
General Information on Taking Dextromethorphan PolistirexSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with dextromethorphan polistirex include the following:
- Dextromethorphan polistirex comes in orange- or grape-flavored liquid. It is usually taken by mouth every 12 hours.
- You can take this medication with or without food.
- Make sure to shake the bottle well before each dextromethorphan polistirex dose.
- Kitchen spoons are not accurate enough for measuring medications. Use the dosage cup provided to measure an accurate dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or dextromethorphan polistirex dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.