When and How to Use the InhalerGeneral considerations to keep in mind during treatment with the ciclesonide inhaler include the following:
- This medication comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- The ciclesonide inhaler is taken twice a day, every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- There is no need to shake this particular inhaler.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations if you take more than one inhalation at a time.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each dose in order to prevent thrush.
- As with any inhaler, it is important to learn exactly how to use your ciclesonide inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Do not wash or put any part of the ciclesonide inhaler in water.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop using the ciclesonide inhaler suddenly, especially if you have been taking high doses for a long time.
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the ciclesonide inhaler
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Ciclesonide Inhaler Dosage to learn more.)