Ciclesonide Inhaler Dosage
Taking other medications will affect dosing for the ciclesonide inhaler. For example, the recommended starting amount for people taking bronchodilators alone is two inhalations of the 80-mcg strength twice daily. People who take an oral steroid usually require a higher dose. Regardless of the amount prescribed, the inhaler should be used for asthma prevention only -- not treatment.
An Introduction to Dosing With the Ciclesonide InhalerThe ciclesonide inhaler (Alvesco®) dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the ciclesonide inhaler
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Ciclesonide Inhaler Dosage for AsthmaFor asthma treatment in adults and adolescents at least 12 years old, the recommended dosage for the ciclesonide inhaler varies, depending upon what type of asthma medications were previously taken.
For people taking bronchodilators alone, the starting amount is two inhalations of the ciclesonide inhaler (80 mcg) twice daily. The maximum dose in these situations is 160 mcg twice daily. Bronchodilators include:
- Albuterol (Proventil HFA®, Ventolin HFA®, Proair HFA®, Vospire ER®)
- Arformoterol (Brovana®)
- Formoterol (Foradil®, Perforomist™)
- Levalbuterol (Xopenex®, Xopenex HFA®)
- Ipratropium (Atrovent®, Atrovent® HFA)
- Ipratropium and albuterol (Combivent®, DuoNeb®)
- Isoproterenol (Isuprel®)
- Metaproterenol (Alupent®)
- Pirbuterol (Maxair®)
- Salmeterol (Serevent®)
- Terbutaline (Brethine®)
- Theophylline (Uniphyl®, Theochron®, TheoCap®, Theo-24®, Elixophyllin®)
- Tiotropium (Spiriva®).
For people who are taking an inhaled steroid (with or without a bronchodilator), the starting dosage is two inhalations of the ciclesonide inhaler (80 mcg) twice daily. The maximum dose is two inhalations of 320 mcg twice daily (two puffs of the 160-mcg strength twice daily, since the ciclesonide inhaler does not come in a 320-mcg strength). Inhaled steroids include:
- Beclomethasone (Qvar®)
- Budesonide (Pulmicort®)
- Budesonide and formoterol (Symbicort®)
- Flunisolide (Aerobid®)
- Fluticasone (Flovent®)
- Fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair®)
- Mometasone (Asmanex®)
- Triamcinolone (Azmacort®).
For people taking an oral steroid (with or without a bronchodilator and/or an inhaled steroid), the starting and maximum dosages of the ciclesonide inhaler are 320 mcg twice daily (two puffs of the 160-mcg strength twice daily). After you have been using the ciclesonide inhaler for a week, your healthcare provider should attempt to slowly decrease the amount of your oral steroid.