General considerations for when and how to take Chantix include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth twice a day (although for the first three days, it is usually taken just once a day).
- Chantix is taken for 12 weeks. If you successfully stop smoking, your healthcare provider may recommend an additional 12 weeks of treatment to decrease your chances of starting smoking again.
- The medication should be taken with a full glass of water after eating.
- You should set a "quit date" and start taking Chantix one week before this to give the medicine a chance to start working before you try to quit. Alternatively, you can start taking Chantix, then quit sometime between days 8 and 35 of treatment.
- Chantix should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
The dose of Chantix your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Chantix Dosage for more information.)