Side Effects of Budesonide and Formoterol
Headache, throat pain, and sinus infection are some of the more common side effects of budesonide and formoterol. In most cases, side effects of the medication are minor, but it is possible to develop serious side effects that require immediate medical attention. Contact your healthcare provider right away if you experience serious budesonide and formoterol side effects like high blood pressure, irregular heart rhythm, or any severe infections.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with budesonide and formoterol (Symbicort®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate budesonide and formoterol well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with budesonide and formoterol. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Budesonide and formoterol side effects with you.)
Budesonide and formoterol has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common budesonide and formoterol side effects included:
- Headaches -- up to 11.3 percent of people
- Sore throat and irritated or runny nose -- up to 10.5 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infection, such as the common cold -- up to 10.5 percent
- Throat pain -- up to 8.9 percent
- Upset stomach -- up to 6.5 percent
- Thrush (a yeast infection of the mouth) -- up to 6 percent
- Sinus infection -- up to 5.8 percent
- Bronchitis -- up to 5.4 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 1 to 5 percent of people, included:
- Flu symptoms
- Back pain
- Nasal congestion
- Nausea or vomiting
- Voice change
- Muscle spasms
- Urinary tract infection (bladder infection or UTI)
- Headaches, including migraines and tension headaches.