Budesonide and Formoterol
In clinical studies for asthma, the combination medication budesonide and formoterol was shown to improve breathing more than either of the two active ingredients used alone. People taking the combination medicine had greater improvements in lung function and needed to use their rescue inhalers less often, compared to those taking just budesonide, just formoterol, or no medication at all.
Some general considerations for when and how to use the budesonide and formoterol inhaler include the following:
- Budesonide and formoterol comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- The medication is inhaled into the lungs, usually twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
- You should "test spray" each budesonide and formoterol inhaler before your first use of it, or if you have not used it for more than a week. To test spray the inhaler, shake the inhaler, then spray it into the air twice by pressing on the top of the canister.
- Shake your budesonide and formoterol asthma inhaler gently before each use.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations.
- Rinse out your mouth (without swallowing) after each dose, in order to prevent thrush.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your budesonide and formoterol inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Most people put the mouthpiece of the inhaler directly into their mouths. However, many healthcare professionals now recommend placing the inhaler an inch or two away from the mouth. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way for you to use the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 120 sprays. Try to keep track of approximately how many sprays you have used in order to know when to replace the inhaler. Do not place the inhaler in water to see if it is empty (although it was recommended to do so in the past).
- For budesonide and formoterol to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medicine will not work if you stop taking it.