Aztreonam for Inhalation Solution
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with aztreonam for inhalation solution include the following:
- This medication comes as a powder that is mixed with liquid and inhaled by mouth using a nebulizer. It is usually taken three times a day.
- Your healthcare provider will show you how to use the nebulizer that is needed to take this medication. You should also receive written instructions. Make sure to ask questions if you are unsure about anything.
- You will need to dilute aztreonam for inhalation solution immediately prior to each dose using the 1 mL of sterile diluent that comes with your prescription.
- Try to take your doses at about the same times each day, at least four hours apart.
- It will take two to three minutes to completely inhale each dose.
- If you are using other inhaled medicines, use them first and take your dose of aztreonam for inhalation solution last.
- Your healthcare provider may prescribe a bronchodilator medicine to take prior to each aztreonam for inhalation solution dose. He or she will instruct you about how and when to use the bronchodilator.
- Do not use this medicine if it is cloudy or contains particles.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow the treatment instructions.
There is only one standard recommended dose of aztreonam for inhalation solution, regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Aztreonam for Inhalation Solution Dosage for more information.)