Side Effects of Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XR
In clinical studies of amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR, common side effects included diarrhea, nausea, and vaginal yeast infections. Such problems are typically minor and easily treated. However, certain side effects, such as jaundice, wheezing, and diarrhea that lasts more than two or three days, are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider right away.
An Introduction to Side Effects of Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XRAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR (Augmentin XR®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR side effects. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Side EffectsSome side effects with amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of liver problems (which occur rarely), such as:
- Yellow eyes
- Yellow skin (jaundice)
- Very dark urine (although amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR can cause a harmless discoloration of urine)
- Upper-right abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Very severe, bloody, or watery diarrhea
- Any diarrhea that lasts for more than two or three days
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.