Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XR
Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR include the following:
- The medication comes as a tablet that is usually taken twice daily.
- Amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR should be taken at the start of a meal, as food increases the absorption of this antibiotic.
- It does not matter what times of day you take this medication. However, it should be taken at the same times each day, with about 12 hours between doses, to maintain an even level of the drug in your system.
- Amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR tablets can be broken in half along the score line to aid in swallowing, if necessary, since the tablets are quite large. However, you should not chew, crush, or dissolve the tablets, as this will interfere with the extended-release properties of the drug.
- For amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
There is only one standard recommended dosage for this medication, although the length of time the drug is taken varies, depending on the particular condition being treated. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XR Dosage for more information.)
Drug InteractionsAmoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR may interact with a few other medicines (see Drug Interactions With Amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR).