Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XR Dosage
In most cases, the dosing guidelines for amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR call for two tablets to be taken twice a day. The length of your treatment will likely last between 7 and 10 days, depending on whether you are being treated for pneumonia or a sinus infection. Be sure to finish your course of treatment, even if you start to feel better before it ends.
An Overview of Dosing With Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XRThere is only one standard dose for amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR (Augmentin XR®), regardless of your age or weight, although the exact length of time the drug is used varies, depending on the type of infection being treated. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XR Dosage for Pneumonia or Sinus InfectionsThe recommended amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR dosage is two tablets (a total of 2000 mg of amoxicillin and 125 mg of clavulanic acid) every 12 hours. For sinus infections, the medication is usually taken for 10 days. For pneumonia, it is typically taken for 7 to 10 days.
This medication is approved for use in adults as well as in children age seven years and older (who weigh at least 88 pounds). The dosage for children is the same as the adult dosage.
General Information on Taking Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium XRSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR include the following:
- The medication comes as a tablet that is usually taken twice daily.
- A dose of amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR should be taken at the start of a meal, as food increases the absorption of this antibiotic.
- It does not matter what times of day you take this medication. However, it should be taken at the same times each day, with about 12 hours between doses, to maintain an even level in your system.
- Amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR tablets can be broken in half along the score line to aid in swallowing, if necessary, since the tablets are quite large. However, you should not chew, crush, or dissolve the tablets, as this will interfere with the extended-release properties of the drug.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.