Following are some considerations for people taking Aerobid:
- Aerobid comes in a metered-dose inhaler (called an "MDI").
- Aerobid is taken twice a day every day. It is used to prevent asthma attacks, not to treat them.
- Be sure to shake the inhaler gently before each use.
- Wait at least one minute in between inhalations (if you take more than one inhalation at a time), making sure to shake the inhaler before each inhalation.
- Rinse your mouth (without swallowing) after each Aerobid dose, in order to prevent thrush.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use your Aerobid inhaler. It may be difficult at first and may require practice.
- The spray should be inhaled into the lungs, not sprayed onto the back of the throat and swallowed. To accomplish this, you will need to breathe in while spraying the inhaler.
- Each inhaler contains 100 sprays. Try to keep track of approximately how many sprays you have used in order to know when to replace the inhaler. Do not place the inhaler in water to see if it is empty (although doing so was recommended in the past).
- For Aerobid to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Aerobid dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.